Indian salon chains to get ‘bans on social media’
The Indian salon chain, which had been accused of targeting Muslims, has been ordered to ban social media posts about the issue of ‘barbarism’.
The order was issued by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Wednesday.
The chain, owned by Bharat Cosmetics and Estates, had been sued by a woman and her son in a Delhi court for allegedly harassing them on social networking sites.
According to the lawsuit, the chain posted a picture of a woman with a hijab in a bar and accused her of being a ‘traitor’ and a ‘criminal’.
“Barbarism is a very serious issue that affects the very fabric of our society,” said Additional Commissioner of Police (ED), K K Mishra, during the hearing.
“It is very serious that these comments are being posted on social networks, which is a violation of the law.
We have ordered BharatCosmetics and Esteemed Estates to ban this matter on social platforms.”
The chain is currently appealing the case.
Mishra added that Bharat has not been found guilty in the case as there is no evidence to prove that it is harassing the woman.
“It is a fact that the case was registered under Section 295A of the Indian Penal Code and Section 16(2) of the Prevention of Unlawful Activities (Prevention of Harassment of Women) Act, which allows us to ban and suspend social media platforms,” Mishra said.
“But, we have not found that the content of these comments have caused any injury to the complainant, nor to any person.”
Bharat Cosmetic and Estes did not respond to a request for comment on the order.
Hindustan Times reached out to Bharat for comment.